On that fateful winter night again I had the courage to venture to the city bathed in shadows. That city that at that time seemed a place haunted by unknown people.
-Lillian, shouldn’t you be ready at this time? - I tell Lillian that ended his yogurt with no apparent hurry despite the fact that we were already late.
Calm down, “White Girl” … - telling me, again, quietly glowing with pride of her dark skin - There’s still time …
Actually, I don’t think so! - I answered him without shame even though I was screaming in her house - its past midnight and we have to cross the whole city!
-Ready-then we’re off … Sheesh! - Answered me throwing out the now-empty pack of strawberry yogurt and approaching the bedroom door of her mother - Mother! We’re leaving!
Lillian not getting any response indicates to me the way to the exit door
We were about 10 minutes waiting for a bus. When we enter the 6277 bus feel the heat present in the vehicle. The lights, low, trying to illuminate the banks of gray upholstery, while trying to hide the dark faces of the occupants of that cold night.
Lillian and I were sitting near the end of the bus, where only one man was sitting. I passed near him trying not to touch his boots that were in my way.
While staring at his boots I noticed how he sat, cross-legged, with class, not so strange as normally see in other men. I stopped looking and sat on the seat more to the right of the last bank. I tried to keep me focused on the screen of my phone, try to avoid eye contact with any other bus passengers.
-Could you tell me the time please? - Said a deep and warm voice after a few minutes we have entered the bus
Sure! Kate? What time is it? - Lillian asks me strangely anxious to make me answer by giving me a touch with the elbow
- Midnight and forty five - said still looking for my phone
-So? - Whispers me Lillian - At least look!
Thank you - answer me the owner of the voice
finally, after much insistence by Lillian, I looked … Oh My God! It was beautiful … had huge blue eyes, his jaw line was stark, stood there looking at me. Something about him seemed familiar, but I couldn’t remember why so I kept on looking at him.
-You’re Welcome -I managed to say with great effort, I couldn’t stop smiling
He smiled back, he was now turned back with his arms crossed and resting on top of the iron wall that separated us. He held in his hands a black Blackberry for coincidence it said the correct hour. I smiled from ear to ear when I looked at the Blackberry, he noticed why and he just smiled, looking embarrassed as it hid the phone behind the partition. A few seconds later we both laughed and Lillian looked at us having no idea what was going on. To not leave him even more embarrassed I decided to speak.
- Kate, pleasure – stretching out my hand over the divider waiting for him to shake, he was sure did
- Jared, my pleasure - continuing to smile at me and shaking my hand
-This is Lillian - I pointed to her in order to keep her in conversation, poor thing waiting for a signal to talk
-Pleasure - says Lillian enjoying my cue and stretching up the division to shake Jared’s hand
- Pleasure – he smiled to Lillian and turned to focus on me,I asked myself what would cause so much interest in me, but my thoughts were interrupted by him
- Where are you going at these hours? If you allow me to question, of course …
- For Vanguard, and you? Where are you going? - Starting to get interested in the conversation with this man with blue eyes
- Home, that in a matter of fact is close to the Vanguard.
- Nice neighbors you must have! - I say ironically
-Without doubt the best in town - Laughs
- So why don’t you join us? - I was becoming interested and I actually wanted him to come, Lillian’s friends are not the best to have around, at least I was sure I would enjoy going with him.
Sure, why not?
The bus stopped at our station. Jared stood up and showed us the way (as if it were very difficult to find the exit of a bus, yet I accepted the gesture, I nodded as I passed after Lillian) Lillian smiled to have our favorite security, Joe and went in. I smiled and waved to Joe, grabbed Jared’s hand, to show that he was with me and we got in as well.
Jared looked at our hands and smiled, probably thinking the situation was ridiculous and embarrassing, I thought the same, by the fact that we knew only a few minutes. I let go of his hand and started walking towards the bar. When I looked at Jared he was still smiling
-What? Didn’t you wanted to get in? - When I asked the bartender for two drinks
Sure – Jared said accepting the drink that I now handed him.
- Glad you stayed, but I think we lost to Lillian for tonight – I smiled
- No doubt, I’m glad I stayed - pointed to one of the tall tables, I followed him and he continued - And yes, I think we lost her
At this point I remembered why I thought he was so familiar, but I was not sure, so I decided to ask him…
-Okay, I’m sorry but I have to ask you something that may seem very silly - I asked him smiling
-Go, do not be afraid to ask, we started holding hands, right? - He replied smiling as well
- Do you have a brother named Shannon?
-Yes! You know him? - He asked me quite surprised at my question
-Yes! It may sound stupid but he is my best friend -I smiled, embarrassed - and as you know is not very easy to find men named Shannon
-well, no … woow, when he says he has a best friend I’m always wondering who would be and she looks and look at what I found - he smiled at me - I admit you overcame my expectations
-Thanks, I guess … I’m not dying to be here, but Lillian has to come here many times, her brother is the owner, so … How about you? Do you want to be here?
- No not really, it was more for courtesy that I came with you here, especially after I bothered you on the bus - smiled and took another sip of his drink
- Oooh right! You still have to give me the number of your Blackberry with the exact time! - I laughed, and he laughed
-I will if we leave this place in 15 minutes
- The offer seems very tempting, but first, we dance?
- Since I dragged myself out here, why not?
We went to the track, we still had our glasses, the beat was strong, the lights flickered constantly above us, dizzying lights of vibrant colors trying to discuss the opportunity to stand on our heads and cover our bodies. Our bodies were close, then closer and closer. We spent the 15 minutes, repeated drinks nearly five times. We were panting, our bodies were awkwardly glued, glazed eyes frantically among us, looking at each other. I touched his back with the palm of my hand, he placed his on my shoulder and he went up to my jaw with the thumb, when he reached my chin he pulled me closer. His nose touched mine, than our lips touched each other. And apparently from nowhere Lillian appears and jumps on us. Clearly she had been drinking, I never wanted so much to go away.
- So? How many have drunk? You know you can help yourselves when you want, right? - Lillian told us
-More than we should, I think - said Jared
-I think the 15 minutes are gone, shall we?
- I agree, lets go - he smiled at me
-you are leaving? - Lillian asked, being a curious fuck
- Yes, and do not worry, I bet you can find your way back home - I tell her, being slightly rude, but that was the only way that I wasn’t going to offend her.
- I thought I’d stay at your house today …
- Lillian, that’s why you have a key, if you want to sleep there, you will – I was beginning to lose my patience now
- Okay, so see you tomorrow - answered smiling, clearly happy because she did not had to go home, then she looked at Jared - for both I guess …
- Yes, maybe … I mean - he replies clearly embarrassed – See you tomorrow
-see you Lillian - smiled at her, gave her a kiss on the cheek and gave you our glasses, now empty - Could you take these?
We left and passing through Joe, he seemed a little impressed because me and Jared weren’t holding hands. I looked at Jared, now slightly away, he was dressed in a black hoodie with a black T-shirt underneath and a white handkerchief, had his hair by the neck, black with red tips (strangely similar to my long brown hair with red tips), wearing black pants, black boots. I got closer to him, now we walked side by side